Monemvasia – Church of Ayios Nikolaos
Prefectural Administration of Lakonia
A cross-in-square church dating to 1703 (second Venetian period), in the lower city of Monemvasia. An inscription in the pediment of the entrance, testifies that the church was built “from the foundations” by the Monemvasiot doctor-philosopher Andreas Likinios, to whose family the coat-of-arms with the double-headed eagle also belongs. Many of the architectural details show western influence. During the second Ottoman period (1715-1821) the church was used as an arsenal, whilst from 1839 until the mid-20th century it was an elementary school, attended by the great Greek poet Yannis Ritsos.
No audio or video files.
No other files.
There are no more subtopics under the current topic