After the Liberation (19th century)
Municipality of Argos
Argos started developing to an industrial, commercial and cultural centre during the entire 19th century.
The generals of the Liberation built lordly houses in the city fabulous, representational examples of which are the houses of D. Tsokris, T Gordon, D Kallergis etc, while the first Governor Kapodistrias had planned the town planning of the city, which suggested an archaeological sight in the area of the Ancient Market (Agora). At that time the barracks (Stratones) were modulated to cover the needs of the cavalry.
Wealthy merchants erected beautiful neoclassic buildings in the city, like the Konstantopoulos’s Palace, built in 1912 based on an architectural design by E. Chiller. The Neoclassic Municipal Market (1889) was also built, as well as many neoclassic buildings and the First Panhellenic Agricultural – Cattle-breeding Exhibition took place in the Public Market (1899).
No audio or video files.
No other files.