Agiou Konstantinou church, Agiou Konstantinou & Arkadias-Messenias Str.
Municipality of Argos
Agiou Konstantinou Church first functioned as a mosque. It is estimated that it was built in the end of the 16th century. It is the only Turkish monument, saved in the city of Argos. At the time of Kapodistrias, it functioned as a Military Hospital for a while. Later on, it was not functionally utilized. It was left to the damage of time until sometime, the very powerful General Demetrios Tsokris, turned it to a stable for his sheep. In 1871, after Lieutenant Ioannis Zois’s acts, it changed to a Christian church.
The monument is cube-shaped and orientated from the northwest to the southeast. It is stone-built without any coatings. The visitor can distinguish several architectural parts of ancient monuments in the walls, which is an evidence of the historical value of the area and its civilization in the depth of time. The wall making does not seem to have anything special, but the well-looked-after and well-structured construction is noticeable. The dome is built of firebricks, obviously to be light and it is seated on an octagonal hoop, which was painted in light blue color. Remains of the color are still saved. The dome may have had a leaden coping during the Turkish domination, like in other mosques. Given that lead was widely used during the Revolution, its absence nowadays can be justified. Today, the roof is covered with tiles. At the southeast side, just under the posterior small belfry, there was a minaret, from which only the first levels are saved. At northwest side, where the entrance of the building is, there is a portico with three hemispheric domes of firebrick as well, which lean on four columns, without special artistic value.
From the inside, the church is without hagiography and can be characterized poor. But the unity of the inside is impressive because there are no columns or pessaries to divide it. The temple of the church is wooden without special artistic value. But there are three marble objects with anaglyph representations are discerned for their delicate art: the bishop’s throne, which is on the right from the entrance and has now been made an icon-stand and the two candlesticks, which have three cherubims on the base and three angels at the upper part. Most of the icons are old, like the one of Taxiarches (1831) and the older one of Agios Nikolaos (1824). Agios Nikolaos’s icon comes from the homonymous church – Agios Nikolaos – of the Perouka’s family. The oldest heirloom of Agios Kanstantinos is an Evangel of 1781, Venetian edition, which has been kept in Agiou Petrou church (St. Peter’s) for many years.
The monument needs immediate erection works because it is in danger of collapse.
No audio or video files.
No other files.
There are no more subtopics under the current topic